Who doesn’t love cookies? You may be a double chocolate destroyer, possibly a chewy and gooey lover, or maybe even a brittle and crunchy biscuit connoisseur. Whatever way you like them, if you’re vegan and gluten free it can be hard to get hold of them! Especially ones that don’t contain palm oil.
Yep, palm oil sneaks its way into many foods, and cookies are one of the worst culprits. It’s super cheap, flavourless, full of nasty trans-fats and easy to get hold of - but it comes at a cost.
Palm oil production is responsible for terrible human rights violations as corporations often forcefully remove Indigenous Peoples and rural communities from their lands in order to expand their palm oil plantation – plus driving species like orang-utans, elephants and rhinos to the brink of extinction.*1.
Palm oil production is also one of the world’s leading causes of rainforest destruction. The draining and burning of carbon-rich peatlands for new plantations is releasing globally significant amounts of carbon pollution making Conflict Palm Oil a major driver of human-induced climate change.
It’s super easy to make cookies without palm oil though. It just comes down to choosing the right ingredients.
By choosing the right oils and fat sources, along with more natural forms of sugar you can create something that’s a delicious treat to enjoy with a little less guilt!
The use of the almond and maca nut butter not only helps replace eggs in the mix, but also some of the oils and fats needed to bind – and of course the flavour it provides is amazing.
These cookies are crumbly, rich, almost caramelised in flavour and so easy to inhale. Plus the cookie dough is to die for! I genuinely ate almost as much batter as I did cookies.
Let us know how you get on by tagging @MitchsKitchenUK and @MindfulBitesUK and of course, enjoy!
Mitch’s Almond & Maca Choc Chip Cookies
Ingredients (1 Batch makes 12-15 cookies):
- 330g Gluten Free Plain Flour (Doves Farm FREEE)
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/3rdtsp Xanthan Gum
- 1tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 80g Maple Syrup
- 80g Water
- 50g Almond & Maca Nut Butter
- 130g Coconut Oil (melted)
- 100g Unrefined Demerara Sugar
- 100g Chocolate Chips (I used 78% Madagascan Chocolate chunks)
- In a large bowl, mix together your dry ingredients.
- Melt your coconut oil (either in the microwave or on the hob) then add into a separate mixing bowl along with the rest of your wet ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Mix your wet and dry ingredients until well combined then add in your chocolate and fold through the mixture.
- Cover your bowl and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour – ideally overnight for best results… Try to refrain from eating the batter, its ridiculously good cookie dough.
- To cook, pre-heat oven to 180˚C.
- Roll into small balls and lay onto baking tray, about 2 inches apart from each other.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden and crisp around the edges.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes as they will be crumbly, then remove from tray and enjoy!
References regarding palm oil: